There are a number of variations in terms of the requirements but essentially they are all geared towards protecting the data which you hold. For example, some of the categories are as follows: Charities, Education, Finance, Health, Marketing and small businesses. For the basics for managing personal data, which also includes that of your employees, you should note the following:
- You should consider whether you actually need the information you hold.
- Ensure data you hold is safe and secure. Computer systems which data is stored on should be suitably protected.
- Data changes quickly, so make sure you have processes in place to keep data you need up to date and relevant.
- Should you receive a request for data from the person you hold data about, you must disclose this.
- Ensure that everyone in your organisation is aware of their responsibilities in relation to handling data.
- Know what data your organisation needs to hold for legal or accountability reasons.
- Hold regular reviews regarding the security of data held.